Most homeowners, especially for those who are in a location with warm weather, are now installing central air conditioning. Installing central AC can give you benefits while keeping you fresh during a hot day. However, it is necessary that you should know the pros and cons of central air conditioning. Here are some of them.
The Benefits of Central Air Conditioning:
Here are the pros of having a central AC in your home:
- Filtered Air. Central AC can help in purifying the air in your home. Meaning the air quality will improve, which can help in lessening potential harmful gases and allergens.
- You will have a consistent temperature all year. It is the primary benefit of getting central air conditioning. If you live in a southern area or somewhere that is relatively hot, having a central AC can make your every room in your home cool.
- Get a unit that’s a combination of heater and air conditioning. You’ll be pleased to learn, especially if you live in a place with cold winters, that some packaged units act as an AC and a heater. You can choose a temperature that will suit the weather, all year long, less the hassle of dealing with two different machines.
The Downside of Central AC:
Now that you know the benefits that you will get, let us now discuss the cons of central air conditioning.
- Increase in electrical bill. If you are moving from no AC to central air conditioning, pushing cold air to every room of your house can increase the energy bill. According to research, AC eats more than 2,000 kWh/ year.
- Duct maintenance. It requires regular duct maintenance in keeping your air clean, to avoid bacteria and mold build up. You need to monitor the cleanliness of the ducts, and these required a professional clean it at least once a year.
- Need for ductwork. If you already have it, let’s say from a furnace system, then all you need to do is hook up the AC unit the duct system. If you don’t, then you will have to consider that installing ductwork means a significant renovation of your home. In the long run, it will increase the value of your home, but, it still is a substantial investment that will require a reasonable budget and planning.
A central AC is an excellent choice for energy efficiency and overall comfort, rather than getting multiple windows. Though there are concerns over ductwork, budget and maintenance can hinder you from getting one. It is best that you plan it out, think of the budget, and schedule the usage. If you need help with the maintenance, you can check the ac repair in Jacksonville, FL, for professional advice.